Astroscale UK, one of Time's 100 most influential companies 2022, is looking for a Stress Engineer to join our Mechanical Team at our brand-new facility based at the Harwell Space Cluster, UK.
You will be vital in ensuring the safety of our missions by defining test parameters and predictions, before following through with assessing mechanical parts during the test procedures.
- Develop design methods, qualification approaches, and testing techniques.
- Outline the interdependencies in the load cycles and qualification testing, and cost it with resource, materials and schedule.
- Review analyses and test data to approve the qualification of spacecraft and ground support structures.
- Review and approve calculations, test plans, drawings and concessions.
- Communicate design recommendations to the CAD team and other subsystems.
- Support procurement with supply chain and supplier engagement.
- Support qualification testing.
- Define and maintain the data framework to organise documents and analysis files.
- 8+ years of experience with structure analysis and development cycle.
- 5+ years of experience with any of these: Nastran, HyperWorks or Femap.
- 3+ years of experience with calculations on sandwich panels, inserts and bolted joints according to established standards and handbooks.
- 3+ years of experience in frequency response and random vibration analyses.
- Well-versed in the principles described in ECSS and NASA standards.
- Experienced in using a PLM system.
- Able to process data through automation (VBA or Python).
- Proactively seek the needs to create specific objectives and be accountable on time and deliverables.
- Be ready for changes; seek clarifications; apply sound engineering judgement if well-established information is lacking.
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity to work with a highly talented international team working on cutting edge technology
- Flexible working around core hours
- Hybrid working available (dependent on individual role requirements)
- 25 days holiday (increasing yearly up to a maximum of 28 days) + 8 days Bank Holiday
- Life insurance and long-term sick pay
- Private healthcare (taxable benefit)
- Relocation allowance
- Visa sponsorship for employees considered
- New state of the art office and cleanroom facility
- Regular social events
Astroscale UK (Harwell), with potential for some travel to Astroscale Japan (Tokyo)
We aim to deliver cutting edge technologies that will become part of routine commercial space operations by 2030.
Astroscale is the first private company with a vision to secure the safe and sustainable development of space for the benefit of future generations, and the only company dedicated to in-orbit servicing across all orbits. Founded in 2013, we are developing innovative and scalable solutions across the spectrum of in-orbit servicing missions, including End of Life services, Active Debris Removal, In-situ Space Situational Awareness and Life Extension Services, to create sustainable space systems and mitigate against the hazardous build-up of debris in space.
Astroscale is an Equal Opportunities employer and embraces a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Note to recruitment agencies: Astroscale operates a preferred Supplier List, and we do not accept unsolicited agency approaches. Please do not forward candidate CVs or details in response to this advert, or to any Astroscale employee.