Astroscale is seeking to employ an experienced and motivated Flight Dynamics Engineer for a position at our facility based in Harwell, UK. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and rapidly growing company making a positive contribution to the growing problem of orbital debris that endangers mankind’s use of space as an asset.
Astroscale’s Flight Dynamics group is a growing, international team of experienced, aspiring engineers. We look to bring innovative concepts into the trajectory planning and optimization processes whilst developing relative orbit determination mechanisms, streamlining interfaces to all information related to the spacecraft’s surroundings – including that of nearby objects.
The successful candidate will experience a range of orbital environments and scenarios as we perform not only the standard operational life-cycle but also rendezvous, docking and separation activities with passive and active clients. The role will include the design, development, testing and operations of the complete Flight Dynamics suite whilst collaborating with different systems and branches across the World.
• Develop the mission design of the spacecraft, from requirements derivation and ConOps down to algorithm definitions and interface specifications.
• Perform modelling, simulation, analysis and optimization in mission design, orbital manoeuvres and orbit estimation.
• Develop SRP and drag tables based upon articulating models.
• Develop state-of-the-art Flight Dynamics TM monitoring tools.
• Interface with the Space Situational Awareness providers to ensure safe passage for our orbiting craft.
• Support real-time operations of the spacecraft including but not limited to flight dynamics operations, manoeuvre planning, execution and assessment.
• Support critical operations, including LEOP, rendezvous, docking, separation and end-of-life.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, mathematics or relevant science discipline.
• Experience in programming – Matlab desirable
• Calm and organised approach to work
• Ability to multitask
• Masters or Doctorate in relevant field
• Experience in spacecraft operations
• Experience using Linux and scripting
• Experience in regression testing and version control
• Education or experience in Mission Analysis
• Education or experience in image processing
• Education or experience in Guidance, Navigation and Control
• Familiarity in Flight Dynamics design architecture
• Competitive base salary
• Opportunity to work with a highly talented international team working on cutting edge technology
• Flexible working around core hours
• Hybrid working available (dependent on individual role requirements)
• 25 days holiday (increasing yearly up to a maximum of 28 days) + 8 days Bank Holiday
• Life insurance and long-term sick pay
• Private healthcare (taxable benefit)
• Relocation allowance
• Visa sponsorship for employees
• New state of the art office and cleanroom facility
• Regular social events
Astroscale UK (Harwell), with potential for some travel to Astroscale Japan (Tokyo)
Astroscale is the first private company with a vision to secure the safe and sustainable development of space for the benefit of future generations, and the only company dedicated to in-orbit servicing across all orbits. Founded in 2013, we are developing innovative and scalable solutions across the spectrum of in-orbit servicing missions, including End of Life services, Active Debris Removal, In-situ Space Situational Awareness and Life Extension Services, to create sustainable space systems and mitigate against the hazardous build-up of debris in space.
Note to recruitment agencies: Astroscale operates a preferred Supplier List, and we do not accept unsolicited agency approaches. Please do not forward candidate CVs or details in response to this advert, or to any Astroscale employee.
Your application was submitted successfully.